Coffing Road bridge showing the road closed signs
Construction is expected to start on Sept. 1 on the Coffing Road bridge. The project has a November completion date. Credit: Cheryl Splain

This story is in response to a reader-submitted question through Open Source, a platform where readers can submit questions to the staff.

MOUNT VERNON — For the Knox Pages reader who asked about the Coffing Road bridge, you’re in for some good news!

According to County Engineer Cameron Keaton, the contractor will begin work Sept. 1. Nov. 1 is the anticipated completion date.

A pre-construction meeting was held Aug. 15.

The county commissioners awarded the bid on June 8 to Crawford Construction for $602,243.80. George J. Igel & Co. submitted a bid of $749,370.25. The engineer’s estimate is $726,012.

MS Consultants will do the bridge inspections.

The cost is funded through Local Bridge Replacement Funds (95%) and local funds (5%).

The work includes replacing the existing single-span, 64-foot steel beam bridge over Granny Creek. The new structure will be a composite box beam bridge with new abutments and minor approach work.

Krause Road

The commissioners awarded the bid for the Krause Road bridge project to V.O. Menuez & Son on June 8 for $825,476.

George J. Igel & Co. bid $911,002, and McConnell Construction bid $863,150. The engineer’s estimate is $1.137 million.

The project is being designed now. Construction will begin in 2024.

The ODOT project is 100 percent funded through the state’s Bridge Formula Program.

Beckley Road

The Ohio State Historic Preservation Office required an archaeological study of the bridge site. The SHPO required the study based on an earlier study downstream on another bridge which resulted in the finding of an old mill site. SHPO was looking for signs of civilizations.

The county will bid the project in the next couple of weeks. Construction will be completed in 2024.

The project replaces an existing three-span, 165-foot steel beam bridge over the North Branch of the Kokosing River with a three-span continuous steel beam bridge. It includes new abutments and major approach work.

Local Bridge Replacement Funds (95%) and local funds are the revenue sources for the $1.4 million ODOT project.

Cave Road: Completed on Aug. 7

On May 23, the commissioners approved a change order from Crawford Construction Company for the bridge replacement. The change order included a decrease of $7,321.72, with a final contract amount of $296,066.94.

Fredericktown-Amity Road: Completed

The resurfacing of Fredericktown Amity Road (County Road 14) is done.

OPWC (Ohio Public Works Commission) funds covered 55 percent of the $1.083 million cost. Local funds made up the remaining 45 percent.

Danville-Amity Road

The county will rebid the Phase 1 part of the project in October. Construction will take place in 2024 if the county receives good bids.

Design work is completed for Stage 1 of Phase 2, and the design engineer is working on Stage 2 plans as well as right-of-way plans. The project is on schedule with construction planned for 2025.


All paving and chip seal is completed. The county is awaiting pavement markings.

Sixty-five percent of the patching is done.

The Knox Pages Open Source section is brought to you by Habitat for Humanity of Knox County.

A Christian ultrarunner who likes coffee and quilting