Yesterday, we focused on mental health. Today, we're talking about what should go on your plate.
Reporter Grant Pepper spoke with Natalie Brenneman, a registered dietitian and certified Diabetes educator with Knox Community Hospital, about how to maintain a healthy diet during the COVID-19 outbreak. Brenneman answered questions she's frequently being asked right now, including:
- If I want to stock up on food, do canned and frozen vegetables offer the same nutrients as fresh vegetables?
- How do I shop for healthy foods that also have a shelf-life? In other words, if I can’t shop regularly for fresh fruits and vegetables, what are my other options?
- What daily supplements are recommended for adults?
- What can people with Diabetes do at home to better control their blood sugar?
- Now that I’m home 24/7, my urge to snack – either out of boredom or proximity – has increased. How do I ‘snack’ healthy?
She also touched on the importance of maintaining a healthy diet during this time, and the mindset we should take from a dietary perspective.
Tomorrow, we will talk about how to stay physically fit during the outbreak. For more local coronavirus coverage: https://www.knoxpages.com/news/covid19/