BUTLER -- The Mohican area is well known for Lyons Falls, but the area is also home to the lesser-known Hemlock Falls located between Perrysville and Butler.
Hemlock Falls was an early meeting spot for locals, even hosting the first Richland County pioneer meeting in 1856. It was named by Roeliff Brinkerhoff, editor of the Mansfield Herald and a colonel Union Army during the Civil War who was promoted to Brevet Brigadier General after the war ended.
Brinkherhoff was also an eyewitness to Abraham Lincoln's Assassination at Ford's Theatre. Brinkerhoff disputed that John Wilkes Booth said anything upon leaping to the stage, and also noted the assassin seemed unhurt when he fled the theatre.
Alas there is little dispute about the beauty of Hemlock Falls.
In the Herald article of 1858, Brinkerhoff described it as:
“The water pours over a precipice of about 75 feet; not, however, perpendicularly, but at an angle of about 75 or 80 degrees, in a succession of cascades. There is every reason, however, to conclude that originally the water poured over a precipice of about 50 feet perpendicularly, the original rock having been washed away by the action of the falling water.
"The water pours over a precipice of gradual descent of about 60 feet when it makes its last leap of 15 feet perpendicularly to the fragmentary rocks beneath. By removing the rocks and rubbish at the foot, the falls would present a still more magnificent appearance.”
“This place,” the 1858 column continues, “in the warm days of summer, affords an enviable luxurious retreat and is resorted to by the young people generally as a bathing place. This locality would afford every facility for a respectable Water Cure establishment. The country around is not only beautiful but remarkably healthy, and invalids from other portions of the county would relish the invigorating atmosphere of this romantic glen.”
Hemlock Falls, however, has remained private property for much of the past 175 years. In the 1990s it became the focal point of the newly established Mohican Outdoor School, and is now owned by the North Central Ohio Land Conservancy.
More information on the Cleo Redd Fisher Museum can be found at this link.