SPI - the spot where STEAM learning and play intersect - is offering fun, weeklong summer camps at different venues around Mount Vernon. These are half-day programs that run Monday through Friday during various weeks. Families must pre-register online (with assistance from SPI staff at 400 S. Main Street if needed) in order for their child to participate. Income-based scholarships available to all families who qualify!
We still have some space in the following camps:
- Trash to Treasure (Calling all kids who want to learn about and protect the environment! They'll grow food, experiment with compost, and spend time outdoors having lots of fun!)
- Woods & Water Wandering (Traverse forests, lakes, and meadows and discover the wildlife in local parks.)
- Rollers, Rockets, and Racecars (Build roller coasters, slingshots, hovercraft and more to understand motion in your world.)
- LEGO Robotics (Make robots during this intro to engineering, using the sate of the art EV3 robotics system!)
- LEGO Simple Machines (They'll learn about a different simple machine each day and then get creative with LEGO!)
- Stream Sleuths (Discover natural habitats, stomp and splash, investigator the healthiness of the river.)
- Real World Chemistry (Kids will become chemists using basic ingredients found at local stores - they'll purify plant products, transform metals, and use solar power from grocery store ingredients!
- Play with Your Food! (Use the scientific method to answer questions about food, prepare dishes, get comfortable in the kitchen!)
- Nature Play (Free play outdoors - kids natural curiosity and interests will lead the way. They'll get dirty, wet, and tired while discovering the hidden wonder of natural habitats.)
For camp descriptions and registration, visit www.spi-mountvernon.org or call 740-501-7616 for assistance.